In October 2008, Johnny Altinger headed out to meet up with Jen, a woman he’d met on a popular online dating site, for the first time. They had plans to meet at her place for a casual hook-up, and Johnny diligently followed the driving directions she’d emailed him earlier that day. But when he walked through the door of her detached garage in Edmonton, Alberta, it wasn’t love he found but something much more sinister.
For our friends in the Deaf and Signing community, you can view an ASL version of this episode HERE.
Episode Source Materials
- The Devil’s Cinema: The Untold Story Behind Mark Twitchell’s Kill Room, by Steve Lillebuen
- CBC News: Slain man called friend after garage visit, Twitchell jury told
- CBC News: Twitchell questioned about $40 car purchase
- True Crime Canada: The Mark Twitchell Case
- Edmonton Journal: Friends worried about murder victim’s ‘date,’ Twitchell trial hears
- Edmonton Journal: Read Altinger’s e-mails before and after his disappearance
- Edmonton Journal: Murder victim Johnny Altinger had a lifelong fascination with new technology
- Globe and Mail: Amateur filmmaker admits to killing stranger he lured to garage
- CTV News: Trial begins for amateur filmmaker accused of murder
- Red Deer Advocate: Victim’s blood everywhere in garage
- CBS News: Mark Twitchell: A closer look at the evidence
- Full text of SK Confessions