A woman leaves her sister’s home one April day in 1998 and never returns. But she doesn’t vanish into thin air, because over the next several years, there are sightings, phone calls, even physical signs that she might be out there somewhere.
If you have any information about Diane Augat’s disappearance, contact Crime Stoppers of Tampa Bay at 1-800-873-TIPS.
For our friends in the Deaf and Signing community, you can view an ASL version of this episode HERE.
May is Mental Health Month. Please take care of yours.
The National Alliance on Mental Illness HelpLine
Open Monday to Friday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. ET
1-800-950-6264 | [email protected]
National Suicide Prevention Hotline
By phone: 1-800-273-8255 (1-800-273-TALK)
By text: send HELLO to 741741
Special thanks to Dr. Claire O’Donovan, MB, FRCPC for speaking to our team about bipolar disorder and to our friend Sarah who shared her personal story with us.
Episode Source Material
- Tampa Bay Times: Discovery heightens fear for missing woman, by Geoff Dougherty
- The Tampa Tribune: Police seek missing woman, by Andy Gotlieb
- Tampa Bay Times: Woman still missing
- The Tampa Tribune: Missing woman tips investigated
- Pasco Times: Missing woman’s clothes found, by Christopher Goffard
- Tampa Bay Times: Witness reports seeing missing woman
- The Tampa Tribune: Leads are few in mystery of severed finger
- Tampa Bay Times: Mother clings to hope for missing daughter, by Tamara Lush
- Tampa Bay Times: Discovery revives family’s hope, by Tamara Lush
- Tampa Bay Times: Fatal shooting revives case of missing woman, by Colleen Jenkins and Tamara Lush
- The Tampa Tribune: Closure sought in 41 cases
- Pasco Sheriff’s Office Facebook: Cold Case Thursday – Missing Person – Diane Augat
- WTSP Tampa Bay: Severed finger one of few clues to woman missing since 1998
- Patch.com: Search for Pasco woman continues 19 years later, by Sherri Lonon
- Pasco Sheriff’s Office Facebook: Cold Case Thursday – Diane Augat – Post 1
- Pasco County Sheriff’s Facebook: Cold Case Thursday – Diane Augat – Post 2
- Tampa Bay Times: Witness recounts night of shooting, by Richard Raeke
- The Tampa Tribune: Jurors reject self-defense plea in killing, by Lisa A. Davis
- Florida Department of Corrections: Inmate Release Information for Gary R. Evers
- The Charley Project: Diane Louise Augat
- Reddit thread (Unresolved Mysteries): 40-year-old Diane Louise Augat goes missing on April 10, 1998
- Mental Health America: Quick Facts And Statistics About Mental Health
- National Institute of Mental Health: Bipolar disorder
- Journal of the American Medical Women’s Association: Women and bipolar disorder across the life span, by Dr. Dorothy Sit
- World Journal of Psychiatry: Treatment-adherence in bipolar disorder: A patient-centred approach, by Subho Chakrabarti
- Treatment Advocacy Center: Victimization and Serious Mental Illness (Backgrounder)
- Cleveland Clinic: Factitious disorder imposed on another
- Mayo Clinic: Bipolar disorder
- The Guardian: People with bipolar disorder may wait 13 years for diagnosis, by Denis Campbell