Oakley Carlson was only 4 years old when she went missing in 2021. Investigators launched a desperate search to bring her home, but with each new piece of evidence, they learned that home may not have been the safest place for her. And systems put in place to protect her may have been the very thing that put her in the hands of the people responsible for her disappearance.
For our friends in the Deaf and Signing community, you can view an ASL version of this episode HERE.
If you know anything about Oakley’s disappearance, please contact the Grays Harbor County
Sheriff’s Office at 1-360-533-8765.
Or email Sgt. Paul Logan directly at [email protected].
Anonymous tips can be given to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children at 1-800-843-5678.
To learn more about Prevent Child Abuse America and to find a chapter near you, visit preventchildabuse.org.
Episode Source Material
- KATU (Portland, OR): Parents of Grays Harbor County girl, 5, held after child goes missing, sheriff’s office, by Tammy Mutasa and Alfred Charles.
- Fox 13 (Seattle, WA): Parents in custody for manslaughter, former foster parents plea for safe return of Oakville 5-year-old, by Fox 13 News Staff and Matthew Smith.
- Fox 13 (Seattle, WA): Where is Oakley Carlson? Search amps up for missing 5-year-old as parents remain uncooperative, by Hana Kim.
- KOMO News (Seattle, WA): Search for missing Oakville girl continues, parents arrested in ‘suspicious disappearance’, by Tammy Mutasa.
- The Chronicle (Centralia, WA): New Details: Parents of Missing Oakville Girl Held on New Charge; Child Not Seen Since January, Sheriff’s Office Says, by Emily Fitzgerald.
- King 5 (Seattle, WA): Family hasn’t seen missing Grays Harbor County girl for a year, documents say, by KING 5 Staff and Helen Smith.
- Fox 13 (Seattle, WA): Did the system fail Oakley Carlson? 5-year-old Washington girl remains missing, by Jennifer Lee.
- KATU (Seattle, WA): Parents of missing 5-year-old charged for not providing medication to other daughter, by KOMO News Staff.
- King 5 (Seattle, WA): Search for missing Oakville 5-year-old continues across 300-acre property near parents’ home, by Erica Zucco.
- Fox 13 (Seattle, WA): Missing 5-year-old’s sister says Oakley Carlson ‘is no more,’ was told by mother not to speak of her, by Jennifer Lee and Brittany Perry.
- KIRO 7 (Seattle, WA): Search for Oakley Carlson concludes, no body or remains found, by Patrick Quinn.
- KING 5 (Seattle, WA): Community members call for legislative change following the disappearance of Oakley Carlson, by Kaila Lafferty.
- KING 5 (Seattle, WA): Timeline of events: The search for 5-year-old Oakley Carlson, by Jimmy Bernhard.
- The Chronicle (Centralia, WA): Charges Against Missing Oakville 5-Year-Old’s Parents Elevated to Felonies, by Emily Fitzgerald.
- Kiro 7 (Seattle, WA): Dozens rally outside courthouse for missing girl Oakley Carlson as parents face judge inside, by KIRO 7 News Staff.
- Fox 13 (Seattle, WA): Community demands answers from state over missing girl Oakley Carlson, by Hana Kim.
- KATU (Portland, OR): National effort launches to find Oakley Carlson, one year after disappearance, by Keith Eldridge.
- Fox News (National): Missing Washington 6-year-old who siblings fear was ‘eaten by wolves’ may still be alive, profiler says, by Michael Ruiz and Stephanie Pagones.
- KING 5 (Seattle, WA): Oakley Carlson’s father pleads guilty to endangerment charges, by KING 5 Staff.
- The Chronicle (Centralia, WA): Statements Made By Missing Oakville Girl’s Mother About 6-Year-Old’s Medication Can Be Used in Trial, Judge Rules, by Emily Fitzgerald.
- The Chronicle (Centralia, WA): Missing Oakville Girl’s Father Gets a Year in Prison for Exposing Children to Meth, by Emily Fitzgerald.
- Fox News (National): Oakley Carlson’s foster mom says she raised red flags about biological parents years before girl went missing, by Michael Ruiz.
- KING 5 (Seattle, WA): Mother of missing Grays Harbor County girl pleads guilty to child endangerment charges, by KING 5 Staff.
- KING 5 (Seattle, WA): Jordan Bowers sentenced to 20 months on charges unrelated to daughter’s disappearance, by KING 5 Staff.
- KUOW (Seattle, WA): Case of missing Washington 5-year-old highlights secrecy around CPS cases, by Austin Jenkins.
- The Chronicle (Centralia, WA): Reward Fund For Missing 5-Year-Old Oakley Carlson Passes $20,000, by The Chronicle Staff.
- Fox 13 (Seattle, WA): The Spotlight investigates: Where is missing Washington girl Oakley Carlson?, by David Rose, Hanna Kim, and Fox 13 News Staff.
- Paramount Plus: Never Seen Again: Oakley Carlson (Season 2, Episode 9).
- KATU (Portland, OR): Oakley Carlson case: Father of missing 5-year-old girl released from jail, by Hannah Knowles.
- Fox 13 (Seattle, WA): Inslee called for review of DCYF’s handling of Oakley Carlson’s case; no wrongdoing found, by FOX 13 Seattle.
- KATU (Portland, OR): Mother of missing girl Oakley Carlson arrested minutes after prison release, by Danny Schmidt, KOMO News.
- KATU (Portland, OR): Mother of missing 5-year-old charged with identity theft, according to court documents, by KOMO Staff.
- KOMO News: Jordan Bowers, mother of missing Oakley Carlson, pleads not guilty to identity theft by Hannah Everman.
- KIRO 7 (Seattle, WA): Proposed ‘Oakley Carlson Act’ aims to improve safety of kids removed from parents’ care, by Colleen West.
- Washington State Department of Children, Youth, & Families (website): Mandatory Reporting of Child Abuse and Neglect webpage.
- Greatschools.org: Oakville school district.
- Oakvilleschools.org: Primary Principal – Ms. Swift.
- Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife: Report wolf observations.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse: Words matter – Terms to use and avoid when talking about addiction.
- Department of Corrections Washington State: Inmate search.
- Graysharbor.us: Contact information.
- Justiceforoakley.wixsite.com: Oakley Carlson timeline.