A Catholic priest is found savagely beaten to death in an Odessa, TX motel room in 1981. A man confessed to the crime, but instead of closing the case, people are still left wondering: Was justice served in the murder of Father Patrick Ryan?
For our friends in the Deaf and Signing community, you can view an ASL version of this episode HERE.
Episode Source Material
- The Case of James Harry Reyos: A Wrongful Conviction Revealed, by Scott Lomax
- Austin Chronicle: Who Killed Father Ryan? By Jordan Smith
- A&E American Justice: Shamed Into Confession. Season 23, Episode 9
- Albuquerque Journal: Priest-Slaying Suspect Fights Extradition Try, by Joshua Quittner
- The Kilgore News Herald: Suspect cleared in slaying, by United Press International
- Newsweek: True Confessions–Or False?
- Crossland Foundation: Case study – Rev. Patrick Ryan, by Leon J. Podles
- InsideHook: The Unholy Mystery of the Murdered Priests, by Steve Huff
- Austin Chronicle: Where’s Your Evidence? By Jordan Smith
- Criminal Law Bulletin Vol 37, Number 4: The Truth About False Confessions and Advocacy Scholarship, by Richard A. Leo and Richard J. Ofshe
- The Los Angeles Times: Priest widely known for good deeds found slain, by Paula Parker
- Yuma Sun: Exam yields no new clues
- Arizona Republic: Police stumped for suspect in priest’s slaying. United Press International
- The Los Angeles Times: Police in Yuma confirm that priest was slain, by Paula Parker
- The Los Angeles Times: Slain priest’s truck found in Las Vegas, by Nancy Reed
- Times-Advocate (Escondido, California): Slain priest’s truck found in Yuma, Ariz
- Yuma Sun: YPD notes new leads in 1980s homicide, by James Gilbert
- KYMA News: Almost 40 years later, local murder of priest still unsolved
- The Odessa American: Pleading for justice, by Harry James Reyos