When Mary Lynn Witherspoon doesn’t show up to work at the South Carolina school where she taught, her friends and family immediately know something must be wrong. And they immediately suspect the involvement of a person who had been stalking and harassing Mary Lynn for more than twenty years. There’s just one problem: that person is supposed to be in jail.
For more information and resources on stalking, visit the Stalking Prevention, Awareness and Resource Center (SPARC) website.
For more information on transgender rights, visit the National Center for Transgender Equality website, including their “About Transgender People” section.
For our friends in the Deaf and Signing community, you can view an ASL version of this episode HERE.
Episode Source Material
- WYFF 4 (Greenville, SC): Convicted SC murderer wants state to pay for sex change
- NBC News (National): Fatal Attraction, by Keith Morrison
- Look Who’s Stalking: 3 (Season 1, Episode 3)
- The Item (Sumter, SC): Charleston woman found strangled in home, by Associated Press
- Obsession: Dark Desires: Something About Mary Lynn (Season 3, Episode 10)
- SPARC: Stalking fact sheet
- SPARC: Definition and FAQs
- The Times and Democrat (Orangeburg, SC): Man sentenced to life in teacher strangling, by Wire Reports
- The Post and Courier (Charleston, SC): Lawsuit Blames Many in Killings, by Glenn Smith
- The Item (Sumter, SC): Smith Commended for legislation, by Jackie Olsen
- The Times and Democrat (Orangeburg, SC): Anti-stalking bill gains House approval, by Wire Reports
- The Charlotte Observer (Charlotte, NC): Anti-stalking bill a step closer to getting OK, by Associated Press
- SPARC: What to do if you’re being stalked
- SPARC: Stalking safety strategies