When Chinese graduate student Yingying Zhang agreed to spend a year in America, she did so by looking forward to the opportunities it would present for her future. However, in June of 2017, 26-year-old Yingying would go missing while on her way to an appointment. Over the next several weeks, a dark saga would begin to play out as police began figuring out what had happened to her.
An endowment fund has been created to honor Yingying and support international students in crisis. You can donate to the fund here.
- Wikipedia – Kidnapping and murder of Yingying Zhang
- Official Criminal Complaint
- Official Opening Statements
- FBI – Surveillance Video
- Illinois University Police Department – Updates & Images
- WCIA – Reporter’s Notebook: Complete notes from the Christensen trial
- The News-Gazette – “FBI offers up to $10,000 reward for info leading to missing scholar”
- Chicago Sun Times – “‘Wannabe serial killer’ Googled murder instructions before Chinese scholar disappeared”
- WTTW – “Brendt Christensen Offered to Reveal Location of Yingying Zhang’s Body”
- WTTW – “Finding Yingying Zhang’s Remains ‘May Be Impossible’ Family Says After New Details Surface”
- CBS Chicago – “Yingying Zhang’s Family Told Her Body Likely In Landfill Near Danville, But ‘May Be Impossible’ To Recover”