When Erica Alonso disappears on Valentine’s Day after a night out with her ex-boyfriend, a months-long search turns up clue after clue before her body is found in the middle of nowhere. The case looks like a murder until some surprising evidence is found – and investigators come to a conclusion that, to this day, leaves many questions unanswered and has her family demanding more.
For our friends in the Deaf and Signing community, you can view an ASL version of this episode HERE.
If you have any information about the circumstances leading to Erica’s death or the re-locating of her body, please call the Orange County Sherriff’s Department at 714-647-7055 or 714-647-7000.
Episode Source Material
- Eyewitness News: Missing OC woman’s family plead with public to help find her
- CBS LA: Couple Who Gave Missing OC Woman A Ride Home Identified
- KTLA: Mystery Couple Comes Forward in Search for Missing OC Woman; Family Pleads for Help, by Anthony Kurzweil, Chris Burrous, Chip Yost, and Mary Beth McDade
- KTLA: Missing Laguna Hills Woman Was Subject of Restraining Order Over Alleged Domestic Violence, by Melissa Pamer and Chip Yost
- KTLA: Candlelight Vigil Held for O.C. Woman Who Went Missing After Valentine’s Day Date, by Rick Chambers
- CBS: Deputies Find Car Belonging To Missing Laguna Hills Woman, 27
- KTLA: Family Sends Up Red Balloons on Birthday of Missing Laguna Hills Woman Erica Alonso, by Kennedy Ryan and Mary Beth McDade
- Eyewitness News: Body found near San Juan Capistrano identified as missing Erica Alonso
- LA Times: Autopsy on missing woman shows no obvious signs of trauma, coroner says, by Veronica Rocha and Joseph Serna
- Orange County Register: ‘We never thought it was going to end like this,’ father says after body found in forest is missing Laguna Hills woman Erica Alonso, by Alma Fausto
- KTLA: Fingerprints Used to Positively ID Body As Missing Laguna Hills Woman Erica Alonso, by Kennedy Ryan
- NBC LA: Family Says Final Goodbyes to Woman Found Dead After Valentine’s Day Disappearance, by Vikki Vargas and Christina Cocca
- CBS LA: Missing Woman Found Dead Off Ortega Highway Died of Massive Drug Overdose, Not Homicide
- NBC: Sheriff: Erica Alonso May Not Be A Homicide Victim, Had GHB In Her System, by Rachel Trost
- Orange County Register: ‘It doesn’t make sense to me’: Father of Erica Alonso surprised to hear daughter’s death ruled an overdose, by Alyssa Duranty and Scott Schwebke
- KTLA: Erica Alonso’s Family Holds Rally, Demands Law Change, by Kimberly Cheng
- Patch: ‘Erica’s Law’ Regarding Body Dumping Goes Into Effect In 2018, by Ashley Ludwig
- Medium: What Happened to Erica Alonso, by Megan Crayne
- Yelp: Sutra (Costa Mesa)