When 32-year-old Deanna Cook is found murdered in her home, her family automatically suspects her ex-husband. But despite a swift arrest, the investigation into her homicide reveals appalling gaps in the Dallas 911 system and the people who failed Deanna when she needed them most.
For our friends in the Deaf and Signing community, you can view an ASL version of this episode HERE.
For more information about More Than A Phone, please visit www.morethanaphone.org.
Episode Source Material
- Patrick v. State. 2018. Court of Appeals Fifth District of Texas at Dallas opinion by Justice Lang-Miers.
- Vickie Cook v. Tonyita Hopkins; Kimberley Cole; Johnnye Wakefield; Yaminah Shani Mitchell; Julie Menchaca; Amy Wilburn, Angela Herod-Graham; City of Dallas. 2019. United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit decision.
- The Dallas Morning News (Dallas, TX): Dallas woman found murdered 2 days after her screams for help to 911, by Tanya Eiserer and Scott Goldstein.
- Longview News-Journal (Longview, TX): Dallas police investigate pre-slaying 911 call, by Associated Press.
- ABC News (National): Texas Police Investigating 911 Call of Slain Woman Who Was Found Two Days Later, by Alyssa Newcomb.
- 5NBC DFW (Fort Worth, TX): Dallas Police: Changes to 911 System After Death, by the Associated Press.
- 5NBC DFW (Fort Worth, TX): More Changes for Dallas 911 System, by Elvira Sakmari, Lita Beck, and Ellen Goldberg.
- Dallas Observer (Dallas, TX): Family of Deanna Cook, Woman Murdered During Botched 911 Response, Sues City [Updated], by Eric Nicholson.
- NBC DFW (Fort Worth, TX): Two More Disciplined in 911 Call Controversy, by Amanda Guerra.
- The Dallas Morning News (Dallas, TX): 911 tape reveals horrific last minutes for murdered Dallas woman, by Tanya Eiserer.
- The Dallas Morning News (Dallas, TX): Slain woman’s family adds T-Mobile, Samsung to suit, by Tristan Hallman.
- The Dallas Morning News (Dallas, TX): On trial’s eve, family awaits justice for Dallas woman murdered during 911 call, by May 17, 2015.
- The Dallas Morning News (Dallas, TX): Jail nurse: I heard ex-husband confess to Deanna Cook’s murder, by Sarah Mervosh.
- The Dallas Morning News (Dallas, TX): Dallas slaying victim Deanna Cook’s family celebrates justice, by dallasnews Administrator.
- The Dallas Morning News (Dallas, TX): Family of slain Dallas woman upset that City Hall continues to fight their lawsuit, by Tristan Hallman.
- The Dallas Morning News (Dallas, TX): Seven years after Deanna Cook died with 911 on the line, her family’s quest for justice drags on, by Robert Wilonsky.