When Shakara Carter is found strangled to death on a dead-end road in Grand Rapids, Michigan, she’s days away from testifying against a serial rapist. But she’s also one of about two dozen sex workers killed in the area over the years…and unlike some of those victims, Shakara’s killer is elusive.
For our friends in the Deaf and Signing community, you can view an ASL version of this episode HERE.
If you have any information about Shakara’s case, please contact the Grand Rapids Police Department at 616-456-3400.
Episode Source Material
- Police haven’t given up on unsolved murders of 11 West Michigan prostitutes by Ken Kolker
- Slain woman key to rape trial by John Agar
- Police don’t link death to others by Nate Reens
- Brake looked at in prostitute deaths by Joe LaFurgey
- Beaten prostitutes testify in assault cases; Troy Brake will stand trial in brutal attacks by John Tunison
- Reluctant hero steps up in Brake case by Ken Kolker
- Police recount events leading to Troy Brake’s murder conviction; family still says Brake is innocent by MLive.com Staff
- DNA, license plate lead Grand Rapids police to homicide suspect, court documents say by Angie Jackson
- Accused murderer Demarco Carnegie spit on the body of Marie Nettles after strangling her, say police by Barton Deiters
- Anger and understanding from families as killer who spat on victim’s body is sentenced by Barton Deiters
- Cold Case Team IDs Dead Man As Murderer by Robb Westaby
- Grand Rapids Police Department Records
- Kent County Court Records: 61st District Court; 17th Circuit Court; 63rd District Court
- Federal court records
- Ritual and Signature in Serial Sexual Homicide by Louis B. Schlesinger, PhD, Martin Kassen, MA, V. Blair Mesa, MA, and Anthony J. Pinizzotto, PhD