When federal prosecutor Jonathan Luna was found face-down in a creek with multiple stab wounds, homicide seemed like the obvious answer. Over time, though, public officials started to pose a different theory: that he took his own life. But for those who knew Jonathan, that wasn’t an option – and the more they learned about the circumstances surrounding his death, the more they started to wonder if it was being covered up by those in charge.
To get a deeper dive into Jonathan Luna’s case, check out David Payne’s podcast: Somebody Somewhere.
For our friends in the Deaf and Signing community, you can view an ASL version of this episode HERE.
If you know who we can contact, or which government agency in Maryland would be willing to take an unbiased look at Jonathan’s death, we want to hear from you! You can email us at [email protected]
Episode Source Material
- LNP (Lancaster, PA): U.S. prosecutor found slain in stream near Brecknock Township business, by Carrie Caldwell and Larry Alexander.
- LNP (Lancaster, PA): Police search here all night for clues after federal prosecutor’s body found.
- CNN: Sources: Slain prosecutor was tortured.
- LNP (Lancaster, PA): Prosecutor suffered a grisly death: Stabbed 36 times with small knife, drowned, by Brett Lovelace.
- The Times-Tribune (Scranton, PA): Coroner: Killer ‘brutalized’ prosecutor, by Brian Witte.
- LNP (Lancaster, PA): Officials are expected to decide who will head investigation into slaying of federal prosecutor, by Brett Lovelace.
- LNP (Lancaster, PA): Sources: Prosecutor’s killing was ‘personal,’ had nothing to do with Maryland drug case, by Chris Foehlinger.
- The Baltimore Sun (Baltimore, MD): Slain prosecutor’s relationships with women examined, by Gail Gibson.
- LNP (Lancaster, PA): Did Luna rendezvous with his attackers?, by Tom Murse.
- LNP (Lancaster, PA): Prosecutor’s personal life examined, by Brett Lovelace.
- The Washington Post (Washington, D.C.): Luna’s Three-State Car Trip A Mystery to Investigators, by Susan Levine, Fredrick Kunkle, and Allan Lengel.
- LNP (Lancaster, PA): Very quietly, investigation continues in Luna killing, by Gil Smart And Jon Rutter.
- The Baltimore Sun (Baltimore, MD): Probe in killing of prosecutor Luna stalls, by Gail Gibson and Lynn Anderson.
- Lancaster New Era (Lancaster, PA): Knife found at site of prosecutor’s death.
- LNP (Lancaster, PA): Officials here say Luna case no suicide, by Brett Lovelace.
- The New York Times: 3 Theories Cited in Death of Federal Prosecutor, by James Dao.
- Lancaster New Era (Lancaster, PA): Police leave open possibility Luna killed himself, by Staff and Wire Reports.
- The Baltimore Sun (Baltimore, MD): Luna reportedly feared losing job, hired lawyer, by Stephanie Hanes.
- The Morning Call (Allentown, PA): FBI says it found no evidence slain prosecutor met with anyone, by Brian Witte.
- The Philadelphia Inquirer (Philadelphia, PA): Still no motive, no suspect 1 year later, by Jeff Shields and Oliver Prichard.
- LNP (Lancaster, PA): Luna reportedly was facing lie-detector test at time of death, Prosecutor was to be questioned about $36,000 in missing evidence, Washington Post reports., by Tom Murse.
- LNP (Lancaster, PA): The curious case of Jonathan Luna, by Helen Colwell Adams.
- LNP (Lancaster, PA): Book update tells of wounds to back, hands of assistant U.S. attorney found dead in 2003, by Helen Colwell Adams.
- LNP (Lancaster, PA): Who killed Jonathan Luna? A decade later, federal prosecutor’s slaying remains unsolved, by Gil Smart.
- The Washington Post (Washington, D.C.): A decade later, prosecutor Luna’s death still a mystery, by Cheryl W. Thompson.
- Fox 43 (York, PA): Private investigator in Jonathan Luna murder reveals new information on 16 year cold case, by Jossie Carbonare.
- WGAL News 8 (Lancaster, PA): York County private detective aims to solve mystery surrounding 2003 death of Jonathan Luna, by Anne Shannon.
- LNP (Lancaster, PA): FBI, Pa. state police are investigating 17-year-old murder mystery of Jonathan Luna, trooper says, by Gillian McGoldrick.
- LNP (Lancaster, PA): Lancaster County judge rules Luna autopsy records in 2003 unsolved death will stay sealed, by Dan Nephin.
- Somebody, Somewhere (Podcast). Episodes 1-11.