11-year-old Jaycee Dugard was abducted as she was walking to school in June of 1991. No one would see her again for 18 years, until two campus police officers did what parole and police officers couldn’t. But her story isn’t just one of survival – it’s one of strength, resiliency, and life after tragedy.
For our friends in the Deaf and Signing community, you can view an ASL version of this episode HERE.
To learn more about Jaycee’s story, you can purchase her books, a stolen life and freedom here: thejaycfoundation.org – BooksandStationery
Episode Source Material
- The Sacramento Bee (Sacramento, CA): Girl, 11, abducted on way to school near Lake Tahoe, by Edgar Sanchez and Mark Glover.
- North County Times (Oceanside, CA): Search expands for missing girl, by Associated Press.
- The Sacramento Bee (Sacramento, CA): Sighting of kidnap victim is reported, by Mark Glover.
- Los Angeles Times (Los Angeles, CA): Abducted Child’s Family Fled Sought Haven : Kidnaping: Family moved from Garden Grove to escape urban ills. Her case will be televised., by James M. Gomez.
- The Modesto Bee (Modesto, CA): Search for girl slows, by Mark Glover.
- The Sacramento Bee (Sacramento, CA): No new leads in Tahoe kidnapping, by Associated Press.
- The Sacramento Bee (Sacramento, CA): Kidnap case stalls after 2 weeks, by Mark Glover.
- The Sacramento Bee (Sacramento, CA): Kidnap seizes family’s holidays, by Ramon Coronado.
- The Los Angeles Times (Los Angeles, CA): Case renews interest in girl’s ’91 abduction, by Dirk Mathison.
- New York Times: Kidnapped at 11, Woman Emerges After 18 Years, by Jesse McKinley and Carol Pogash.
- KCRA (Sacramento, CA): Kidnap Suspect: ‘Wait Until You Hear The Story’.
- UC Berkley News (Berkley, CA): Arrest of kidnap suspect Phillip Garrido hinged on instincts and diligence of two members of UC Berkeley police force, by Cathy Cockrell.
- New York Times: Kidnapping Victim Was Not Always Locked Away, by Jesse McKinley and Carol Pogash.
- The Independent (UK): Missing girl could have been found in 2006.
- ABC News: Cops Apologize for Muffing Chance to Rescue Jaycee Dugard in 2006, by Sarah Netter and Sabina Ghebremedhin.
- The Telegraph (UK): Jaycee Lee Dugard: ‘Death dogs’ search Philip Garrido’s home for missing girls, by Nick Allen (in Antioch).
- Ventura County Star (Ventura, CA): Police investigate wife’s role in girl’s 18-year kidnapping, by Marcus Wohlsen.
- Ventura County Star (Ventura, CA): Garrido’s mental state likely to be issue at trial, by Lisa Leff.
- CBS News: Jaycee Dugard Investigation Turns to Phillip Garrido’s Associates, by Neil Katz.
- The Los Angeles Times (Los Angeles, CA): Phillip Garrido’s bail set at $30 million, will undergo psychiatric testing [Updated], by Maria L. La Ganga.
- CNN: Garridos in court for hearing as 1976 rape victim watches.
- The Los Angeles Times (Los Angeles, CA): State prison watchdog strongly criticizes procedures in Jaycee Dugard case, by Michael Rothfeld.
- Captive for 18 Years: The Jaycee Lee Story (film). Directed by Nick London.
- USA Today: Challenge of grand jury stops expected Garrido guilty plea, by Associated Press.
- Reuters: Jaycee Dugard’s kidnappers plead guilty in California, by Gabrielle Saveri.
- The Irish Times: In testimony Jaycee Dugard describes her 18-year ordeal, by Lara Marlowe.
- Diane Sawyer: Jaycee Dugard Interview.
- Wicked Attraction: The Jaycee Dugard Story (Season 4, Episode 11).
- The Seattle Times: Rape victim describes Garrido’s attack, by Sam Stanton, Kim Minugh, and Ryan Lillis.
- ABC News: California official admits failure in Jaycee Dugard case, by Sarah Netter.
- A Stolen Life, by Jaycee Dugard.